Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 2 (Sweet Dee)

Today I was going to get up early and start my day with a light walk.  I'm definitely a morning person, but for some reason getting out of bed in order to enjoy my morning is always a challenge.  In fact I am usually up about 2 hours before I have to leave for work just so that I can take my time, cook breakfast & lunch, etc.  But nonetheless, my mister fella, John, always chides me for hitting the snooze too many times.  Well, I broke a record this morning.... I hit it every 9 minutes for an hour and a half!!  WHY do I do that??  Ugh!  Don't tell John.... ;)

FOOD
1/4 cup whole oats (no sweetener) cooked, topped with 1 banana (sliced).  2 cups of green tea (no sweetener).

Cup of Raspberry Leaf tea, and an apple (Braeburn organic)

Romaine & spinach salad with 1 radish, 1/3 cup garbanzo beans (no salt), onions sauteed with seitan & seasonings, and roasted beets (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pinch of salt & pepper).  Dressing - mustard with 1/4 cup almond milk, and 1/4 tsp agave nectar.

Americano coffee with a splash of unsweetened ricemilk (this was my first attempt at not putting any sweetener in my coffee, and....BLECH!  I realize now that I was probably just craving the sugar I put in the coffee, not the coffee itself!  It just tastes like a very strong & bitter tea by itself.  Honestly, I have herbal tea that tastes better!  I did finish the whole thing eventually though, I mean, I did spend $1.86 on it.)

1/2 an avocado (baked), onion slices, grapefruit, and goat cheese over brown rice* - drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a splash of Bragg's.  This was SO DELICIOUS that I posted the recipe here!


(*I soaked my brown rice overnight too - soaking before cooking helps to breaks down some of the hard-to-digest proteins, and neutralizes phytic acid, which is an anti-nutrient that prevents absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and copper.  Yes, I had to look that up.)

How to soak rice:
1 cup rice
2 tablespoons of an acid*
warm water - the same amount you would need to cook it

Put all into the cooking vessel you plan to use to cook the grain, and let soak at room temperature for a minimum of 7 hours and up to as long as 24 hours. Then cook as usual, skimming any foam or scum that develops on top, as it can contain released impurities.

*For the acid, you can use plain yogurt, whey (from milk, yogurt, kefir, etc.), kefir, buttermilk, vinegar, or lemon juice.

EXERCISE
Body Combat class (1 hour) 

No comments:

Post a Comment